Search This Blog
Sunday, October 12, 2014
Test and Rebuilding- Week 5
In the past week for American Studies, we took our Unit 1 test and studied the rebuilding of America after the Civil War. I found the test somewhat easy and I felt I knew all the material that was covered. The review session the class before helped a lot with the formats for the compare and contrast portion, and the OPVL portion. I feel that the best part of the test for me were the OPVL and question portions, and the compare and contrast I could've done a bit better and improved my answer to make it more efficient and answer the question better. For the second half of the week, we continued on the history of America and studied the United States and its status after the Civil War. We learned that from that period to around the 1920's, the US was in a severe economic recession, which I found surprising because I had previously thought that time period had somewhat neutral economic standings up until World War I and the Great Depression soon afterwards. We had also learned that a new method, called sharecropping, had replaced plantation systems since slavery was now abolished.Sharecropping was when a landowner rented out his land and in exchange, expected some crops back. This method was almost as bad as slavery since most people couldn't catch up on their due crops. I think the plantation system could've worked better but they would've needed a substitute for the slaves
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree with the fact that sharecropping was a minor improvement from the conditions of slavery. However, I disagree with your statement of how the plantation system should have been continued. On the contrary, I think that the only thing that could have made the rights of black people better in the years close after the civil war would have been to have different officials elected in the south rather than the prejudice ones that Andrew Johnson appointed. I think that this would have been very helpful because it would have allowed laws to be passed that benefited the black population rather than demean them.
ReplyDeleteNot to forget to mention that most of those slaves were free slaves that had no were else to go and had to resort to share cropping. Or simply having to borrow an extremely small piece of land and having to pay about more than 50% of what you grow. This method hurt many people and caused allot of diseases to kick.
ReplyDelete